Sunday 11 June 2017

WEMBO World 24hr Championships - Finale Ligure 2017

  The dust has (perhaps) settled on the 2017 WEMBO World 24hr Championships in Finale Ligure, and having just returned to the UK with a lengthy drive (Reflection time!), I thought it may be time to put some words down about how the race unfolded for me.

  Finale Ligure is a mountain bikers heaven, and since it was announced that WEMBO was visiting in 2017 its been top of my priority list. The trails there are a mix of pristine wooded singletrack, and sun-baked  sharp rocky open sections, with killer climbs thrown in the mix just for some added torture. The course was without doubt the best, and the most vicious endurance courses I've ever ridden.


  The race started at 10.00am and the start loop was a 500m (Felt like 500 miles....) off-road run around the arena and pits, into transition before collecting the bike and starting the real lap. Now I am no runner, so I took this super steady and chilled, yet still managed to contract a blister on my left ankle from running in my bike shoes. Doh!

  The first 6 hours of the race went pretty smoothly. Got my bike changed and lubed up a few times, got a big boy plaster for my blister, and generally settled in. The temperature was in the high 20's and keeping fluid in was a task. Many people were feeling sick and I was one of them, struggling to keep food going in as night fell. A couple of punctures through the night made it a little spicy, but nothing a quick couple of wheel changes couldn't cope with!

  The night laps were wicked. I settled into the darkness, just riding my own pace and not really worrying about anyone else (I had no idea where in the race I was at the halfway mark). Water was soothing the stomach and in the early hours my pace began to rise again with a few hot laps. I was starting to catch people I knew from the  British and Australian crews and moral was good as I turned a few laps with various people chatting about random topics. 

  The sun came up and the legs were good to go it seamed (Hands and ass feeling less fresh...) so I decided to make some progress while the going was good. My pit crew were telling me I was leading my category, but I didn't know by how much (the live timing systems had a little melt down in the Italian heat). 

  At 09.35am on Saturday morning, my crew were telling me I'd done enough to win my category, and after a quick chat with pit neighbour  Peter Nadin (who ironically was one of the first Brits I met in Finale, and who also won his class with a phenomenal performance), crossed the line just after 10.00am to secure my  World Champion position! Absolutely stoked!

Some stats from the race:
Laps: 33
Distance: 330km (205 miles)
Elevation gain: 8300m 
Calorie burn: >10,000kcal

  This race for me has been  long time coming, having stopped training for XCO in favour for endurance this year. The emotion to see it come through in the best way possible is something I will always cherish. Although its a solo race, there is always a suffering team behind it who have to deal with an aweful lot, so a massive thank you goes to my pit crew:  Seb Lloyd, Pete Robinson, and my parents who deal with all my crap. Craig Bowles who without a doubt is one of the best coaches / friends out there, whithout him, this dream wouldnt have been able to come to fruition. Chris Berry, Greg Berry and all at Hot Pursuit Cycles with all the help with bikes, kit and putting up with my constant jabber about Italy in the past 12 months. Caroline Goward at Scott Sports UK for getting me the best bike in the game.


A massive well done to all the Brits who raced in Finale. Three other world championship jerseys made it back to the UK from Steve Day, Carwyn Davis and Peter Nadin. Lots of other podium positions were had, and loads of really strong rides from the Brits meant we were possibly the strongest nation at this world champs!

British Champs will be my next focus in a few weeks time at Pivot Twentyfour 12 in Plymouth. A truly great event!




  
  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment

The "No Season" Off Season

 Towards the end of 2019 I felt incredibly burnt out. Lacking motivation and nursing a knee injury that just added to the mental effects of ...