Sunday 4 March 2018

Lanzarote 4 Stage MTB Stage Race

The early season has become dominated by stage races and “classic” mountain bike races throughout Europe with the Cyprus Sunshine Cup, Andalucia Bike Race and Lanzarote 4 Stage race all happening within a few weeks. These have become favorites for us Brits escaping the harsh conditions of winter in search of some sun, and some early season racing form. This year I jumped on a plane to head out to Lanzarote for the UCI Club La Santa 4 Stage MTB race. Here’s how it went down:


Saturday - Stage 1: 42km / 678m Elevation

I was racing in the Elite class, lining up around 40th on the first day (random gridding behind the usual big hitters). Rolling out from Club La Santa on the tarmac and down the road to the seafront speeds were hitting around 65kmh before the initial left swing onto the gravel track taking you inland. Going with the wind at this point meant the pace was blistering, putting you in top gear for most of the opening km’s. The next 5km everything settles slightly and groups start to form. It’s very much a case of keep up, or you’re getting dropped (I learnt this the hard way through the week).



Heavy winds dominated on stage 1, with one section in particular becoming nearly unridable as you got blown off an exposed ridgeline. Hard enough for me, let alone the 50kg racing snakes! The short day with mix of gravel track and twisting walled singletrack combined with just 678m of elevation gain meant we were all home quickly to nurse the legs for the next few days. I got a feel for the pace of the guys around me and It was pretty clear who I should be looking out for to form a group for the next few days.
Race time: 1:41:59
Position:  28th Elite


Sunday - Stage 2: 60km / 967m Elevation

With the morning of day two the winds had calmed (Slightly) and a longer day in the saddle was looming. The same stupidly fast (but fun!) roll out from Club La Santa and left turn onto the gravel before heading along the coast in a southerly direction. Much more volcano actin today, with most of the climbing coming before half way as you skirted around a crater in the Volcanic National Park.



I settled into my group from the previous stage early on, but started to struggle with the pace as the trails went upwards. I eventually went pop  and dropped out of the group as we made the turn at the halfway mark. I found myself isolated, wasting vital energy pushing into the wind. I tried (but failed) to jump onto a few passing groups of riders. But to no avail.
The raised singletrack separating the walled gardens and fields was pretty testing (in both skill and patience), with a base of loose lava cobbles ready to catch you out at every turn. There was loads more fun singletrack in today's stage however, so I took my foot off the gas and enjoyed the rest of the riding.

Time: 2:25:04
Position: 38th Elite


Monday - Stage 3: 21km Time Trial / 837m Elevation

A slightly later start for the mountain time trial meant some extra vital recovery after having ruined my legs the previous day. Much appreciated. The course for the time trial starts virtually on the beach in the town of Caleta De Famara, approximately 15km from Club La Santa, and winds its way up to one of the highest points on the island.


I started steadily, not wanting to burn all my matches knowing it was going to be over an hours effort for the heavies like me. I caught my 30’s man within the first few minutes of the TT, which was alarming, but I felt comfy so kept the pace. Double track gravel road snaked off in front of me going with the wind, before a sharp left turn back into the wind and a steep singletrack climb.
Apart from my eyeballs popping out, all was going well. A few rocky fun singletrack descents followed into a super fast flat section. It was here my drivetrain decided to lock up. Fun.



With a touch of idiocy, i just ploughed on even though my rear mech was crying for mercy. It quickly freed up though, so maybe it was a stroke of genius? A turn at the feed station and back upwards for more vertical induced suffering. It was here I managed to pick up a suffering rider (with a disregard for the no drafting rule) who decided I was just the right size shape for hiding from the wind.
Double track the rest of the way to the top before a cruel glimpse of the finish as you disappear past it, and turn back again. One final sprint for the line and that was stage 3 done.


Time: 59:42
Position: 33rd Elite

Tuesday - Stage 4: 85km “Queens Stage” / 1633m Elevation

With three hard days of racing in the legs already, this was always going to be the sting in the tail of this race. An undulating 40km to start before heading skywards, with a long climb back up to the observatory at the top of the island, before heading for home on some really fun descents.


The start was as fast as ever and i struggled to get going in the opening stages. A few more drivetrain issues combined with sore legs saw me constantly getting dropped from my usual group, meaning matches had to be burnt early on to stay in contention.


It all settled down and I was comfortable in my group at feed station 2 and midway point to start the major climb. A fairly steady affair at the beginning but with the group fracturing and separating by the midway point of the climb. This was my que to settle in, and ride it at my own sustainable pace, before opening the taps on the descent.



A 70kmh descent to begin with from the observatory and into blustery singletrack from the previous days time trial kept everyone on their toes. I caught fellow Birt and member of my original group Joe Norledge, joined by two riders in the lead of the masters race. An effective quartet, and my legs feeling good it was full steam ahead till the end!  A classic bad luck moment of a chain drop for me in the last 5km lost me my group and a few extra places on a day I was looking for my best finish. But thats racing for you…


Time: 3:38.02
Position: 31st Elite


In all, a quality weeks worth of racing putting some speed into the legs after the winter period. If anyone reading this is thinking of potentially making the trip to Lanzarotte or similar for a sport of racing, I urge you to do it! The Lanzarotte 4 Stage MTB race is a relatively cost effective and friendly introduction to stage racing. Get it booked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The "No Season" Off Season

 Towards the end of 2019 I felt incredibly burnt out. Lacking motivation and nursing a knee injury that just added to the mental effects of ...